Friday, July 20, 2012

Dill Pickles / {Boise Photographer}

Alright...this is the last post for awhile on home canning.  

One of my favorite foods is dill pickles.  I've been canning my own for about 10 years now.  It's really easy and if you love pickles, like I do, you'll find yourself making a batch year after year.

Over the years I've tried many different recipes and this year I finally combined a few things recipes together.  Combining what I like from each.  I can't wait, they should be yummy!



Ingredients:

-9 pounds pickling cucumbers

-12 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
-12 cups water
-2 1/4 cups white cane sugar
-8 tablespoons pickling spice (in spice bag)
-3/8 cup pickling salt

-12 garlic cloves
-10 teaspoons mustard seed
-Fresh dill

-Canning jars ( I used quart jars for this batch)



Step1:
Wash Cucumbers



Step 2:
Combine the following and place in a pot:

-vinegar
-water
-sugar
-pickling spice (in mesh bag or tea diffuser)
-pickling salt

Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.  Then increase to boiling




Step 3:
While bringing the vinegar mixture to a boil.  Sterilize jars.


Combining these two steps into one ensures the jars and the vinegar mixture are ready at the same time.

(pot on left contains vinegar mixture----pot on right contains glass canning jars)




Once the vinegar mixture has come to a boil you're ready to move onto the next step.



Step 4: 
Working with one or two jars at a time....place the following in the sterilized jars.

-teaspoon mustard seed
-1 head fresh dill
-1 garlic clove




Step 5:
Next, pack the jar with cucumbers.



Step 6:
-Ladle the hot vinegar mixture over cucumbers
-place lid and rim on jar (following proper canning procedures) and set aside.



Step 7:
Process jars in hot water bath.
I processed these jars for 15 minutes



Enjoy!
You'll end up with approximately 10 quarts of dill pickles

No comments: